Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Finally Registered for Classes!

I've got to admit that so far the admissions process at CU has fairly frustrated me. For a while I had some sense of which paperwork was coming to me in which order, but now I've got no clue. I'm about ninety-percent certain though that I've done everything I need to before actually arriving there, and most of my efforts currently are being spent communicating with my realtor and finding a place to live in Boulder.

Registering for classes wasn't easy. First I was told I could do it through the online portal, but that didn't work. I kept getting a message that said I didn't have an enrollment appointment. Nobody mentioned anything to me about an enrollment appointment. I called the registrar's office, and the student worker there seemed really confused and transferred me to some other lady's voicemail who then did not return my call. I called again, and after speaking to another very confused worker for a few moments, she interrupted me by saying that I could register at 8 am on Wednesday. Eight am rolled around this morning (twice, in fact, because CO is an hour behind TX), and lo-and-behold, no enrollment appointment. I called back, and the student worker this time listened to me speak for about ten seconds before interrupting me and saying she was going to transfer me to someone else's voicemail. I protested and she answered rather testily: "That's all I can do for you, sir."

Needless to say, my voicemail was not happy, and needless to say, no one called me back. A little while later I called back again, and whoever the student worker was this time put me on hold for two seconds, and when he came back on, told me I could register immediately. He'd just opened me up. Hoila. I think the ease with which he was able to fix it, after all of that, was the most infuriating part! Anyway, the important thing is that I did get registered, and my classes look sweet. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Mon: Contemporary Literary Theory
Advanced Topics in English- Digital Media
Tues: Intro to Literature of the United States
Wed: Fiction Workshop

I am also on a waiting list for Intro to Multicultural Literature. Not sure how many credits I'm supposed to be taking, although the important thing is that I'm enrolled and can drop/add as needed. This all could change anyway once I get there and am able to advise. Also, I still need to receive a schedule of the classes I am teaching. I'm excited though. It's like a fairytale. There is not a single class I'm not thrilled about!

No comments: